WHITEPAPER: How to resolve the leadership paradox in the Energy Sector – turning good technical people into great leaders
A new white paper and video series from Sia Partners UK and Naked Leader address one of the urgent issues facing the Energy Sector: how to turn good technical people into great leaders. Even the most successful companies often leave a newly promoted or potential Director to navigate his or her own way from technical superiority to leadership mastery.
Released today, the paper and videos are a rallying call for Energy companies to develop the behavioural expertise of their leaders. Great leadership at all levels in an organisation is essential for running safe operations, and improving productivity and results.
The paper is not a boring, long-winded academic piece; rather, it offers proven, practical and powerful how-tos that can be applied straight away in Energy companies. For example:
- Focus on choice, not change, within clearly defined boundaries.
- Create parallel career paths: (1) leader of people or teams, and (2) technical.
- Provide a technical person with the right amount of pressure to allow them to develop skills they would otherwise not develop.
- Develop active listening skills.
- Support technical leaders by developing their ability to read, feel and be in rapport with an audience when presenting and communicating.
For the most effective tips, tools and techniques on exactly how to develop great leaders from your technical people, read our whitepaper.Download whitepaper
Leadership occupies hundreds of bookshelves, thousands of books and millions of words, and yet it all comes down to one single word – behaviour. Yes, what people think, feel and say are important – what they do is all.David Taylor, Naked Leader